This is going to be a chair based on my Pulham chair design.
It is for an old gentleman who needs a taller chair with arms to make it easier to
get in and out of. I am therefore lengthening the legs by 3 inches and fitting some
simpler and longer arms to the chair. I’m afraid that photograph of the drawing
of the Pulham Chair is not very clear but you can click on it to see a larger not
very clear image if you like.
I’ve marked out and sawn out the back legs and the wood for the front legs.
Next I have to plane them flat on the surface planer and then put them through the
thicknesser then the back legs will be ready to shape on the spindle moulder.
The legs have been spindled and are now ready to have the mortice joints cut into them.
Cutting a mortice for a side rail.
The front and back legs have now been morticed and the rails have been tenoned.
A moulding has been cut along one edge and a shallow channel has been cut
across the legs to bring them flush with the seat rails. The upholstery will be wrapped
around this groove.
I now have dry assembled the front legs and rails just to check the angles
are right and that everything fits.
The tops of the legs are shaped into the arm stalks and the arm tops are
cut out and shaped. All the parts have now been made and sanded. The front legs are
glued to the front rails and all the back parts are glued together. When the glue
is set the front sections are glued to the back sections and the chair frame is made.
All that is needed now is for the the corner blocks to be glued in and for the frame
to be stained, oiled and upholstered and it is finished. I didn’t have time to take
photographs of these final stages but I have got one of the finished article.